Senior JAVA Developer
BUX is a tech company that is rocking the world of finance. Our mobile app makes stock trading easy, exciting and affordable for everyone. Founded in 2014, BUX now has 1.2 million users across 8 countries in Europe. By taking down the barriers to the financial markets and reinventing the trading experience, we’re helping new generations of first-time investors to discover the exciting world of the financial markets. Our unique culture is just one aspect that makes us stand out from the crowd. We offer a supportive environment that encourages innovation and creativity whilst maintaining a healthy lifestyle balance. You can expect real responsibility and recognition from day one. We are large enough to offer a wide variety of career opportunities, whilst small enough to treat you as an individual.
Why you will enjoy working for BUX
- You’ll design, build, and maintain a system that is meant to scale. We went from 1000 to 1.2 million users with barely any hiccups
- You’ll work with an actor-based framework (similar to Akka), that is central to everything we do, and the heart of the scalability of our system.
- We have a trading app that is accessible 24/7. We have very small maintenance window, so from a DevOps perspective anybody, you’ll have the opportunity to think, plan, and execute the best ways to deploy our services.
- Because we don’t have a web app, backwards compatibility will always be an issue. We have tens of thousands of clients out there, running different versions of the app. Every seemingly small decision might impact some or a few of them.
- We have a really experienced team. Between the CTO and our tech leads, there are several decades of development experience. This is one of the smartest teams you’ll have the chance to work in. It will help you push yourself to the next level.
- Lastly, the business domain is really interesting. It’s not something you see every day and, once mastered, this knowledge can be used for other companies in the trading/financial world.
What we offer
- An awesome role within a fast growing startup in a brand new office close to Amsterdam Central Station
- Ownership: you will be empowered to make a difference, and introduce your own ideas
- Competitive salary
- The chance to work from abroad up to one month per year
- Bi-weekly Hackathons, weekly borrels, fun company events
- Conference and training budget
- Fabulous and healthy company lunches made by our very own chef (http://www.instagram.com/buxlunch)
What we expect from you
- Be a collaborative and engaged member of a multidisciplinary Scrum team, along with fellow backend and mobile developers, QA, designer, and product owner, to to create, maintain, and operate the most robust, scalable and reliable back-end the world has ever seen;
- Take part in the architecture design sessions, development, integration testing, and in all aspects of the software life-cycle;
- Push for and uphold the best engineering, development, and quality practices (including but not limited to continuous integration, release early and often, refactoring, unit testing, and code reviews).
- Have a hands-on coding mindset, develop and maintain high quality code base, consistently delivering stable and maintainable projects;
- As we are a DevOps team, be part of our on-call roster, once you’re up to speed. (There is a compensation scheme for when you are on-call.)
- Be the driver of your own personal development and growth, by staying up-to-date on current, new, and emerging technologies, and constantly looking for opportunities to improve yourself and your skills;
- Be comfortable in sharing your knowledge with your teammates, helping them grow, and in learning from them
- Proficiency in Java, with strong object-oriented design skills;
- Solid knowledge of software design patterns;
- Working knowledge of the Spring framework;
- An Agile mindset and working knowledge of the Scrum framework;
- Experience with DevOps tools and procedures;
- Experience with building scalable (clustered) systems;
- Experience with puppet, messaging systems and Elasticsearch is a pre;
- Knowledge of reactive, actor-based systems is a pre;
- Proactive, self-starting, can-do mentality.